Are you experiencing any of these symptoms of OA of the knee?
- Are you unable to do or enjoy certain activities because of pain of stiffness in your knee?
- Do you frequently experience stiffness in your knee after resting or when waking up?
- Does your knee hurt when you move?
- Does your knee hurt even when you are not active?
- Do you hear a crackling sound or have a grating feeling in your knee?
What is OA of the knee?
Osteoarthritis (ah-stee-oh-ar-THRY-tis) or OA of the knee can result from a low level of a lubricating substance
(hyaluronan) in the synovial fluid that cushions your knee. Without enough hyaluronan, the bones of your
knee begin to rub against each other, causing erosion, bone spurs, and pain. Common risk factors for OA of the knee are genetics,
being overweight, joint injury, overuse of the joint, and having other forms of arthritis.
Millions live with OA of the knee every day
More than 10 million Americans suffer from OA of the knee. Nothing can cure OA, but it can be treated effectively with proper physician care. Many people with OA live happy, healthy, and active lives
What is SUPARTZ therapy?
SUPARTZ therapy is a solution made of highly purified, sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronan or HA). Hyaluronan is a natural chemical found in your body and in joint tissues and synovial fluid that fills your joints. Your body’s own hyaluronan acts like a lubricant and shock absorber in synovial fluid of a healthy joint.
How can SUPARTZ therapy work for you?
Osteoarthritis negatively affects the quality of synovial fluid and therefore its ability to protect and lubricate your joint. The goal of SUPARTZ therapy is to supplement the poor quality HA in your painful knee with additional highly purified HA.
How is SUPARTZ therapy given?
Your doctor will give you an injection of SUPARTZ therapy into your knee once a week for 3* or 5 injections with a simple procedure that is performed at your doctor’s office. Your doctor may recommend a local anesthetic to reduce the possible discomfort associated with the injection.
*Some patients may experience benefit with 3 injections given at weekly intervals. This has been noted in a study in which patients treated with 3 injections were followed for 90 days
Are you a candidate for SUPARTZ therapy?
SUPARTZ therapy could be right for you if:
- Your knee pain is due to OA
- You are not getting adequate OA knee pain relief from walking and/or physical therapy
- You are also not getting adequate OA knee pain relief from pain medications, including:
- Ibuprofen (e.g., Advil®)
- Acetaminophen (e.g.,Tylenol®)
- Naproxen sodium (e.g., Aleve®)